: Summer Intensive Program
Colorado Ballet Summer Intensive 2016
June 13-July 22, 2016
Guest Faculty: Amanda McKerrow, John Gardner, Judy Rice, Daniel Baudendistel and Erica Fischbach
“It’s a pleasure to watch young students train with such focus and determination for their futures. Colorado Ballet Summer Intensive nurtures students beyond the classroom into budding professionals”
Two, four and six week sessions available
– Gil Boggs, Artistic Director of Colorado Ballet
Ages 11-21 on pointe
At Colorado Ballet's home at the Armstrong Center for Dance
1075 Santa Fe Drive, Denver, CO 80204
Colorado Ballet Summer Intensive under the direction of Valerie Madonia, offers a Summer Intensive program for the serious intermediate dancer through to pre-professional levels. The Academy has a history of transitioning students into the Colorado Ballet Company and into other companies worldwide. With internationally renowned master teachers and our own highly regarded school faculty, our program offers classes designed to provide far reaching improvement for each student.
Focus is placed on developing the whole dancer by offering classes according to level in ballet technique, pointe, men’s class, variations, pas de deux, modern, contemporary, character, Pilates, body conditioning as well as lectures on injury prevention, nutrition, Anatomy in Clay ©, and dance history. * Please note not all class are available for the entire program.
- Dance in one of eight studios housed in our state-of-the-art studios in the heart of Denver's Art District on Santa Fe.
- Two, four, and six week sessions are offered to accommodate summer schedules. Students wishing to perform at the conclusion of the Program must attend the four or six week session.
- Students will be considered for our year-long Pre-professional division as well as the opportunity to join Colorado Ballet’s Studio Company
- Physical therapy is available to students from the company’s in-house provider.
- Students must be 11 by the start of the Summer Intensive to audition and must be on pointe by the time of the audition.
- Admission is by audition only, the Academy gives first preference to students who audition in person.
- Our highly experienced teaching faculty includes former dancers from American Ballet Theatre, New York City Ballet, and The Joffrey Ballet as well as current Colorado Ballet professionals. We are dedicated to providing superior training to our students in a supportive and encouraging environment.
Students must be on pointe by the time of the audition and be 11 by the time of the start of the intensive. We welcome auditions both in person and via video. Click here to see a complete list of audition dates. Audition fees are $30 if paid in advance, $35 if paid at the time of the audition, and $45 if auditioning by video. The video for an individual or class should include the following:
Barre Work one side
- battements tondus
- ronde jambe a terre
Center floor work
- pirouette combination
- petit allegro
- grand allegro
- pique in arabesque
- pirouettes en pointe
- waltz combination
The video should not exceed 15 minutes in length. Video auditions should be submitted through Acceptd.com and will be available soon.
* Please wear only leotards (white t-shirt for men), tights and appropriate shoes in the video
Summer Intensive Students reside on the University of Denver’s beautiful campus. They enjoy the scenic surroundings of Denver while participating in activities including the Denver Art Museum, a Colorado Rockies major league baseball game, a performance at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts, Denver Botanic Gardens or Denver Zoo. Students are chaperoned at all times by experienced adult counselors familiar with the challenges of being away from home and the rigors of summer dance training.
Summer Young Dancer Workshop
Click here for information on the Summer Young Dancer Workshop 2016.
Photo: Tracy Jones by Francisco Estevez