Colorado Ballet presents one performance per year in a relaxed environment with sensory friendly adaptations to provide an inclusive space for people with intellectual or developmental disabilities, ASD, SPD, and other sensory sensitives or disabilities.
For details specific to the present season, please check:
Colorado Ballet staff, dancers, ushers, and volunteers receive specific training from our partner organizations to provide the best adapted experience possible and to learn more about how we can support our audience at this performance. As always, we’re committed to making the performance a welcoming, inclusive, and memorable experience for all of our patrons.
This performance features a friendly, supportive environment for families with a loved one with special needs. Adaptations to the performance are slight, including:
- Elimination of potentially startling special effects and lighting
- House lights on at about 30%
- Typically, we would also lower sound levels. However as this is not an option with our live orchestra, we’ve reduced potentially loud or startling sounds and recommend patrons bring headphones or earplugs as needed (there will be a limited number available at the theatre).
This performance will have relaxed house rules for the audience. This means you are free to get up, move around, and leave or return whenever you need to. A relaxed environment also includes
- Allowed use of iPads and other electronics for therapeutic uses
- Provided and welcomed manipulative objects
- Relaxed traditional expectations of patrons staying seated and quiet
- Volunteers scattered throughout the theatre to assist and direct audience members as needed
- Quiet areas and activity areas in the lobby for taking a break
- A touch table for patrons to experience costume pieces through the tactile sense
- Audio description is provided
Here are several examples of how the performance may be modified:
- The Nutcracker includes an explosion in a battle scene. For this performance, the explosion is removed.
- Flashing lights will instead shine steadily
- Loud noises from props and the orchestra will be softened or removed
We are pleased to offer accessible pricing for this performance. Because of that, this performance is not eligible for subscriber, Academy, military, student, or promotional discounts.
We’re proud of our dancers for their inclusive approach to sharing their art.
They make artistic choices to bring a vibrant and accessible performance to the stage and to the audience.
Email the Education and Community Engagement team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.